
What Has Become of Me?
What have I learned from this project? That’s an interesting question. I wish I could tell you that I had the time to devote hours and days on end into it. The truth is though, my obscure reality is that I don’t. I guess if I had to ask myself honestly, and render a candid response I would have to acknowledge three things: 1) I seriously need to learn time management, 2) blogging is kind of fun, and 3) I disagree with typical literature studies.
First of all, despite the help of Ritalin, my time management skills are seriously lacking. I found the assignment interesting, and was sure that with a dedication to time, I would be able to easily achieve success in the project. However, even though I found the project interesting, I seldom found the time to devote to it. I sit here, hours before it’s due, confessing to you that as a student, intelligence is about worthless unless its properly applied. If I ever expect to do well in the world of academia, it is imperative that I learn how to manage my time more wisely, and resist the impulsive urge to do whatever happens to be distracting me. I appreciate that aspect of the assignment though. I would much rather receive a less than desirable grade, and learn something valuable, then receive and A in exchange for a cheated education.
Second of all, I found that blogging is kind of fun. I do enjoy playing with the different bells and whistles, expressing myself through the net, and getting responses back. I think that I may find myself blogging more and more in the future. I enjoy writing quite a bit, and I think that I will, in the future learn more about it. I may even get a passion for it. My brother says that I should pursue a career in journalism. He thinks I should be a columnist. Everyone has at least one family member that thinks too highly of them, but hey! It makes me feel good, so I might exercise my creativity through blogging instead. Is it really all that bad to believe that you might be greater than you are? The Death of a Salesman, should answer our questions on that. But I may have to disagree. They say ignorance is bliss. Maybe it’s true. The happiest people I know are the ones who know very little at all. But the point is, this blogging stuff may be a great way for me to spend my time in a semi-academic way. Who would have known.
Now, lets get to the nitty-gritty of it all. What did I really learn from the project. Well, the project was about poetry and study of. I have found through the poem that I chose, as well as the studies involved, that I am definitely not a “victim of conformity”, as my friends in Greenday attest. I have found that my “out of the box” way of thinking resists the norms of, not only conservative America, but conservative Academia. If I choose to conform, I will by all chances do well - Not GREAT, but well. However, if I continue down the path of non-conforming thought, I will either find myself failing, or I will achieve great success. I’ve never been much of a gambler, and I hate to say that I will follow a path that doesn’t promise as sure-fire success, but I may have to. There is something inside of me that does not allow the answers given to be the only answers allowed. In my studies on the world, I have found that true greatness in government, war, art, and literature are not found in perforated lines - sadistically rhythmic and in sync. The black and white world of man, where rules and values are set forth by white-haired men, with deep pockets, sugar-coated lies, and deceptive diplomas, is not the world that I choose to be a part of. Rather, I am part of a world that chooses to ask questions, abandon norms, and never apologize for its offensiveness. These studies have taught me, that I will either achieve great success through unconventional means, or that I will die a martyr - working towards a cause that is scorned upon by those that sit in over-priced attire, and command truth, rather than
demand it.
http://flickr.com/photos/cool_colonia4711/1006801982/
1 comment:
re: There is something inside of me that does not allow the answers given to be the only answers allowed.
This is a great line. I hope to remember it!
Thank you for the insightful and honest work you did on this blog. I like your poem and I hope you continue to blog!
Post a Comment